- October 13 – Machines & Strings Pt. I – pre-show at 5:30pm, concert at 6:00pm at the Wild Beast at CalArts – featuring pieces by Amy Knoles, April Gerloff, Chrysanthe Tan, Jules Gimbrone, Sarah Belle Reid, and Stephanie Smith
- October 24 – Machines & Strings Pt. II – pre-show at 8pm, concert at 8:30pm at REDCAT – ISQ performs premieres by Ajay Kapur, Amy Knoles, Jules Gimbrone, and Ulrich Krieger, plus performances by April Gerloff, Chrysanthe Tan, and Stephanie Smith, and a premiere by Sarah Belle Reid
- June 12 – ISQ @ Moroccan Lounge– 8:00pm – performing works by Johannes Ockeghem, Caroline Shaw, Francesca Caccini, and Philip Glass. Opening for Tim Carr and Midnight Sister (who we’ll also play with).
- April 19 – Storytelling– 8:30pm at Automata – performing as Guest Artist with Now Hear Ensemble on a program featuring works by Ted Hearne, Federico Llach, Pamela Z, and a premiere by Valentín Pelisch.
- March 2 – Phantom Thread – 8:00pm at The Theatre at Ace Hotel – Wordless Music and Spaceland present the U.S. premiere live score of Paul Thomas Anderson’s PHANTOM THREAD
- February 18 – Isaura Presents:– 8:00pm at Human Resources – ISQ performs works by Amy Golden, Ulrich Krieger, Nicole Lizée, Caroline Shaw, and Scott Worthington
- November 18 – LA Phil’s Noon to Midnight – 8:00pm at Walt Disney Concert Hall with wild Up – performing works by Andrew Tholl, Du Yun, Scott Walker, and Pauline Oliveros
- August 10-12 – NOW Festival 2017 – 8:30pm at REDCAT – workshop performance for NOW Festival 2017 of David T. Little’s Artaud in the Black Lodge with Timur and the Dime Museum and ISQ
- August 20 – unSUNg: Songs Uncommon and New – 4:00pm at St. Mark’s Episcopal Church in Glendale – premiering a new song cycle for soprano and string quartet by Elliott Goldkind, with Kirsten Ashley Wiest and ISQ
- June 3 – Jackie – 8:00pm at the Theatre at the ACE Hotel – screening and live score with the Wordless Music Orchestra
- June 13 – tuning #3 – 8:00pm for the wulf. at Coaxial, a second performance of the piece as part of the Dogstar Festival – additional music by the Jordan Dykstra.
- March 3 – Rock Horn Project Record Release Show – 8:00pm at Cinematic Pictures Gallery in Hollywood – Doors at 8, music at 9. Free show, open bar. Celebrating the release of Unbreakable, Rock Horn Project’s newest album released on Ropeadope Records. There is a 150 MAX to the venue – RSVP on the Facebook event.
- March 6 – Sacred/Profane: Michael Pisaro and Guillaume de Machaut – 8:00pm at Zipper Hall – performing with the Dog Star Orchestra on a piece by Michael Pisaro
- March 26 – John Eagle + Emily Call –8:00pm, presented by the wulf. at Coaxial, presenting the premiere of John Eagle’s tuning #3 (first position)
- January 21 – Equal Sound: Battle Trance – 8:00pm at Live Arts Los Angeles – performing works by Hildegard von Bingen, Guillaume de Machaut, Caroline Shaw, and Aleksandra Vrebalov. Saxophone quartet Battle Trance performs for the second half of the concert.
- December 17 – Holiday POPS Spectacular – 8:00pm at Warner Grand Theatre in San Pedro – performing with the Golden State Pops Orchestra
- November 12 – AYS Presents: Back to the Future Live – 7:30pm at Royce Hall – performing with American Youth Symphony
- November 16 – Mixtape 01 – 8:30pm at The Factory – performing works by Bach, Schnittke, and more
- October 1 – Noon to Midnight – 10:00pm at Walt Disney Concert Hall – performing with wild Up as part of LA Phil’s Green Umbrella series
- September 8 – Gavin Gamboa at The Temptation of St Antony (FOUR LARKS) – 10:15pm at Basic Flowers in downtown LA – performing a string trio by Gavin Gamboa
- August 20 – Salon 2016 – 7:00pm at SPACE Arts Center in South Pasadena – Looking ahead to the Lou Harrison centennial, ISQ will preview a section of his String Quartet Set along with music by John Luther Adams, Benjamin Britten, Andrew McIntosh, Nick Norton, and Caroline Shaw, and the premiere of a new work by Melinda Rice. ISQ will also be joined by mezzo-soprano Julia Aks for selections from works by Veronika Krausas.
- August 28 – Carlsbad Music Festival – ISQ performs three sets throughout the day
- June 14 – Math is Nature – 8:00pm at Art Share LA – As part of Dog Star 12, ISQ performs John Eagle’s rhythm color #3 and the Koan Quartet performs works by Tom Johnson and James Tenney. Tickets here.
- June 18 – The Density of Silence – 8:00pm at 356 S. Mission Rd. – I’ll join the Dog Star Orchestra on John Cage’s Atlas Elipticalis
- May 14 – Just String Quartets, Part 4 – 8:00pm at Boston Court – ISQ performs as part of the annual Microfest, playing works by John Luther Adams, Gloria Coates, Kraig Grady, and Andrew McIntosh.
- May 27 – Workshop Presentation at Boston Court – 11am – of a new project with Timur.. – email me if interested in attending.
- April 2 – Classical Revolution LA presents: Isaura String Quartet – 6:00pm at the Silverlake Lounge – ISQ performs works by JLA, Piazzolla, Steve Reich, Andrew Tholl, and Caroline Shaw. Joined by special guest mezzo-soprano Argenta Walther.
- April 3 – Refractions – 7:00pm – Center for the Arts Eagle Rock – ISQ performs Daniel Corral’s work for music box, electronics, guitar, and string quartet.
- March 5 – Punch-Drunk Love with Live Score – 8:00pm at the Theater at Ace Hotel – Wordless Music and wild Up collaborate to perform Jon Brion’s original score at a screening of Paul Thomas Anderson’s Punch-Drunk Love
- February 10 – Laguna Beach Music Festival – Festival Prelude – 5:30pm at Seven Degrees – performing with wild Up.
- February 13 – Laguna Beach Music Festival – New Global Voices – 8:00pm at the Laguna Playhouse – performing with wild Up.
- February 17 – Emily Wells and Lorna Dune – 8:00pm at the Lyric Theatre – ISQ joined by Scott Worthington on bass, performing with Emily Wells
- January 16 – Timur and the Dime Museum + ISQ – 9:00pm at El Rey Theatre – ISQ will join Timur and the Dime Museum in their set, opening for DeVotchKa.
- January 24 – Rock Horn Project at NAMM – 11:00am at the Anaheim Convention Center – performing a set with RHP on the NAMM Nissan Grand Plaza Stage
- December 9 – Charles Gaines: Manifestos 2 – 8:30pm at REDCAT – Charles Gaines fills the stage with a nine-piece orchestra and large-scale video projection to create Manifestos 2, with a musical arrangement by director and composer Sean Griffin of Opera Povera. Gaines devised musical translations of four influential speeches using a conceptual rule-based musical notation system. The score is based on: Malcolm X’s last public speech, made in 1965 in Detroit’s Ford Auditorium; Peace, Power, Righteousness: An Indigenous Manifesto (1999) by Canadian Mohawk scholar and activist Taiaiake Alfred; Raúl Alcaraz and Daniel Carrillo’s Indocumentalismo Manifesto, an Emerging Socio-Political Ideological Identity (2010); and Olympe DeGouges’s 1791Declaration of the Rights of Woman and the Female Citizen. Manifestos 2, the second in a series of works by Gaines based on influentialhistorical speeches, was premiered at NY MOMA in 2014.
- November 8 – Loops & Grooves – 8:00pm at the Blue Whale – works by Bansal, Beglarian, Corral, Frantzen, and Norton, with Richard Valitutto, piano, and Derek Stein, cello
- November 14 – Equal Sound presents M83: Digital Shades [vol. 1] – 8:00pm at Live Arts Los Angeles – works by John Cage, Ingram Marshall, Missy Mazzoli, and the live premiere of M83’s Digital Shades [vol. 1]
- November 17 – Laura (Bohn) and Isaura (String Quartet) – 9:00pm at the Blue Whale – works by Bischoff, Chausson, Mahler, Pierce, Schubert, and Tholl
- November 24 – Komagata Maru – 8:30pm at REDCAT – Conceived by composer and multi-instrumentalist Neelamjit Dhillon to draw out the emotional and psychological resonance of a teachable historical moment, the extraordinary musical landscape of Komagata Maru is realized by a double quartet—Dhillon’s group plus the Isaura String Quartet—and shaped into a rich, multisensory experience with spoken-word narration and projected archival visuals.
- October 17 – Disco Queen – 9pm at Jones Coffee Warehouse in Pasadena – disco concert with Nina Lares and Isaura String Quartet
- August 13 – HEART OF GLASS – 7:00pm at Private Home in Eagle Rock – Blondie’s hit song as re-imagined by seven different Los Angeles composers in ISQ’s first ever pops concert. Composers include Dan Miller, Kevin Kelly, Odeya Nini, Matt Smith, Morgan Gerstmar, Mark Menzies, and Eric KM Clark. If you’re interested in attending, email isaurastringquartet AT gmail.com
- July 18 – TRAVELS: Dances – Drones – 7:00pm at SPACE Arts Center in South Pasadena – playing works by Dimitrov, LeBaron, Piazzolla, and Vasks with ISQ
- July 23 – SOUNDINGS: Voices – String Songs – 7:00pm at SPACE Arts Center in South Pasadena – playing works by Brahms, Golijov, Monk, and Tholl with ISQ – joined by special guests Kathryn Shuman and Argenta Walther
- July 30 – TRAVELS: Progression – Recollection – 7:00pm at SPACE Arts Center in South Pasadena – playing Ravel’s Quartet in F and Reich’s Different Trains with ISQ
- June 7 – Ojai Music Festival – 5:00pm at Libbey Park in Ojai – performing a section of John Luther Adams’ Sila with ICE
- June 14 – Ojai Music Festival – 3:30pm at Libbey Park in Ojai – performing John Luther Adams’ Sila with ICE
- June 18 – Ojai at Berkeley – 6:00pm at the Faculty Glade at UC Berkeley – final performance of Sila with ICE
- June 19 + 20 – Partch: LSD/Dementia – 8:30pm at REDCAT – performing scenes from Anne LeBaron’s LSD: The Opera with Partch
- April 10 + 11 – The Parable of Otto John – Time TBA, Opera Povera at MAK Schindler House – Performing new music with the Isaura String Quartet. This project weaves together archival material from artists and designers working with Opera Povera, the collection of the Wende Museum, and an international group of innovative musicians into an interdisciplinary exhibition with two related concerts. New Music/New Opera/New Dramaturgy by Paula Cronan, Inouk Demers, Joanna Demers, Jose Luis Blondet, Aiyun Huang, Charles Gaines, Sean Griffin, Justin Jones, Anne LeBaron, George Lewis, Pauline Oliveros, John Schneider with Partch, Stacy Ellen Rich, Micah Silver, Juliana Snapper, Catherine Sullivan, Chris Warren, Joe Yorty and Opera Povera’s Guest Artists
- April 12 – L.A. Bassoons – 4:00pm at REDCAT – performing works by Elgar and David Newman
- April 21 – Komagata Maru – Neelamjit Dhillon’s DMA Thesis Performance – 8:30pm at ROD Music Hall at CalArts – Neelamjit Dhillon Quartet + ISQ in Dhillon’s final doctoral thesis performance project melding Indian classical and jazz forms to examine historical injustice in the present
- March 29 – Let Someone In: Melinda Rice’s Album Release Show – 2:00pm at MorYork Gallery – playing on a few tunes from Melinda Rice’s newly released record
- February 8 – A Day with Jani Christou – 7:00pm at REDCAT – performing Praxis for 12 (1966), Anaparastasis I (The Baritone) and Anaparastasis III (The Pianist) (both 1968)
- February 11 – Hooded Eyes – 10:00pm at Pour Vous
- February 28 – Santa Ana Sites with wild UP and Pacific Symphony – 8:00pm at Logan Creative in Santa Ana – joining musicians of wild Up to perform Andrew Norman’s Gran Turismo
- January 25 – Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No. 2 – 5:00pm at the Wild Beast at CalArts